Sunday, August 25, 2013

Healthy Vegan Fall Challenge Part 1

It is time for another challenge and I am really going to try to step it up this time as I did not do too well last time. If you would like to join in leave a comment and I will get you an invite to the group over on Facebook.

So, these were my goals last time...

1. No animal products whatsoever. This means not eating something unless I KNOW it is not made with dairy and/or eggs (and other animal products, obviously). This is where I have been lacking in making the transition to becoming a full vegan (well, this and leather products).

2. 1 salad everyday, and fruit with every meal.

3. Limited oil, salt and sugar.

4. Exercise daily, increasing running distances or times.

5. Lose 10 pounds.

I did horribly with #1. This is something that I think is going to take a lot of time and practice and that is okay. I do really well with not eating any beef and usually no pork, chicken, and other poultry. However, when I was on my vacation I went to my cousin's house and she had lovingly prepared us a lunch of chicken salad, not knowing I was a vegetarian. I felt that in this instance it was better to go ahead and have some instead of offending her. I know that most people would not agree with me, but for me that was the right choice. I also do allow myself the occasional fish, usually when it is served as sushi, so I did have that as well, once. I also had a salmon salad the other day. I am working on giving fish up completely. Becoming a vegan is turning out to be a step by step process for me. I figure if I can master one thing at a time that is a victory. For now, it is not having had any beef. I also can't remember the last time I had eggs, though I have had food with eggs in them. I will talk about dairy in a bit.

I have not had a salad everyday or fruit with every meal, but I have found that I love juicing so I may be able to achieve that this time around!

I have done pretty good with limited oil and salt. Sugar, not so much!!

I have done a lot of exercise, but not daily. Have not increased my distances or decreased times. More on that in a bit.

I did not lose 10 pounds. I think I gained 10!

Okay, so for this challenge a lot is going to be the same.

1. No beef, chicken or other poultry. No eggs, except to try the falafel at a friend's new restaurant (he has not been able to find a recipe that does not use eggs that tastes good, but he does want to have a vegetarian offering on the menu.)

2. No dairy. I have been eating some dairy lately, as an experiment. A couple weeks ago I had an omelet at Ihop that used egg substitute. I also asked for no cheese on it, but did not realize it was in it. I went ahead and had some before realizing I could scrape it out. That evening I had some stomach issues. I began to wonder if I maybe had lactose intolerance (since my dad had it and I have had those stomach issues before). last Sunday I had dairy and was fine. Yesterday I had dairy and was also fine. I was hoping that if I had it it would make it easier to give up dairy!! Instead I have to remind myself that bay cows are being ripped away from their mothers to provide that dairy, most of it comes from factory farms, and it is a by-product of blood and really not that great for you.

3. No foods that use dairy products or eggs. Time to read labels!!

4. Limited oil, salt and sugar. I do not cook with oil normally, but may use it on salad as a dressing. Going to try not doing that. I also do not add salt to recipes normally or have it on a meal unless it really really needs it. As for sugar, I am trying to remember to bring dried fruit in my lunch bag for dessert so I am not tempted to get something out of the vending machine or go in search of chocolate (and believe me, I know who has it and where it is!!). Also, limit vegan sweets to evening only and not a lot!!

5. Fruit everyday!! Though I failed my juice fast it made me realize I love juicing!! So I am planning to have juice with breakfast and dinner.

6. Finish my large cup of water everyday.

7. Eat more salads. I plan to make a big one every Sunday and add to it as needed. If I do not take it for lunch, it becomes dinner.

8. Smoothie or granola or a fruit dish for breakfast :)

9. Regular exercise. It has been really hot and I have not felt like going to the gym. That is going to change. My gym routine will now consist of 1 mile each on bike, elliptical and treadmill. I am also trying to do one race a month to keep motivated. Mostly 5k's however I made a deal with a friend to do a 10k in March.

10. Lose 10 pounds. But I will be happy with 5!! I am currently at 169.

11. No soda with high fructose corn syrup. I have not had caffeine soda in a couple weeks so I am adding something else in!! This limits me to Sierra Mist at work and most restaurants and Izze at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and be heard