Sunday, July 21, 2013

Veggie Friendly Eating on Amtrak

For my trip out to California I decided to take a train since I had never been on one (well, Amtrak) before. I was not sure what the food options would be. After doing some research online I discovered that you could preorder vegan meals!! So I did.

Unfortunately, they did not make it onto the train :(

Never fear, there are a few vegan/vegetarian options available on board!

For breakfast the first morning (I slept through it the 2nd) I first had a Larabar and soymilk I brought along.


However, that did not fill me up enough so I headed for the dining car. This is the view out the window

I chose to have the oatmeal for breakfast. I made sure it was not made with milk and it wasn't. It came with maple sugar and raisins on the side which I added. It also came with fruit -- oranges and strawberries -- so I added the strawberries in, too. I also chose a whole wheat biscuit which I had with strawberry jam. I did not eat the yogurt that also came with it. I forgot to take a picture before I started, but here is the finished result lol


It was at lunch thet I discovered the vegan meals had not made it, but secretly I was glad because they had a veggie burger on the menu!!!! I ordered it without cheese, of course and it also came with chips and a pickle. Unfortunately, I did not get a picture.

For dinner I had pasta, sans the feta cheese.

On the return trip I brought my own dinner for 2 nights. I slept through breakfast again so I had another veggie burger for lunch and for an afternoon snack I had hummus and pretzel chips from the snack bar. It was then that I discovered they have vegan burgers in the snack bar, too!!

So, if you find yourself travelling on Amtrak, rest assured you will have plenty of vegan and healthy options :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and be heard